LEED Certification for Historic DTE Energy Navitas House
Peter Basso Associates recently provided mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineering design and lighting design services for the renovation of the historic Salvation Army Building, recently acquired by DTE Energy.
LEED certification is anticipated for the recently renovated 3-story, 32,000 square-foot Salvation Army Building in Detroit. The Navitas House, (Navitas is Latin for Energy) as it’s now known is home to nearly 140 DTE Energy Information Technology employees. The historic Art Deco building, built in 1938, once served as the Salvation Army Service Center, and had sat vacant since 2004.
PBA was tasked with providing MEP engineering design and architectural lighting design services for the renovation, which required the removal and replacement of various MEP distribution systems, new HVAC, electrical and plumbing distribution. PBA also provided MEP design services for the refurbishment and replacement of existing electrical systems and distribution as well as the installation of new data and communication lines. In addition, PBA provided new plumbing distribution system designs and fire protection where required.
The green design project was designed to meet LEED Silver requirements and also received historic preservation credits.
Much of the Art Deco building was in remarkably good shape, and therefore was able to be preserved. Some of the preserved historical attributes included the terrazzo floors, marble walls and the historic attributes of the main lobby.
Following completion of the renovation, DTE Energy incorporated a rain garden which utilizes filtered runoff water for a bird and butterfly habitat incorporated behind the building. LEED certification is anticipated this year and the renovation will serve as DTE Energy’s first LEED certified project.
For more information on the renovation, check out the following articles: